Food keeps us warm in the winter, especially cozy nights by the fire or in front of the tv. These winter warmers recipes are just the perfect dishes to make this winter extra cozy and delicious for you and your loved ones.
By Mariam Elhamy
Sheet-Pan Lemon Garlic Chicken
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsps lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 tsps minced fresh thyme or 3/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp minced fresh rosemary or 1/4 tsp dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 6 bone-in chicken thighs
- 6 chicken drumsticks
- 1 pound small potatoes, halved
- 1 medium lemon, sliced
- 2 tbsps minced fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 220°C. In a small bowl, whisk the first 7 ingredients until blended. Use 1/4 cup of the marinade into a large bowl and mix in the chicken then refrigerate for 30 minutes. Store the rest of the marinade in the fridge.
- Drain chicken then place it in a baking pan; add potatoes in a single layer. Drizzle reserved marinade over potatoes; top with lemon slices.
- Bake until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 170°-175° and potatoes are tender, 40-45 minutes. If desired, broil chicken 3-4 inches from heat until deep golden brown, about 3-4 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley before serving.
- 3 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes (8 cups)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained and chopped
- 1 small celery, chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp rubbed sage
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- Place first 8 ingredients in a slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low 5-6 hours or until potatoes are tender.
- Mix flour and 1/2 cup cream until smooth; stir into soup. Stir in 3/4 cup cheese and cilantro and remaining cream. Cook, covered, on low until slightly thickened, about 30 minutes. Serve with remaining cheese.
Chicken and Wild Rice Bake
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 2-1/2 tsps salt, divided
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 jar (2 ounces) chopped pimiento, drained
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup slivered almonds
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil; stir in rice and 1 tsp salt. Reduce heat; simmer, covered until kernels have puffed open, 45-50 minutes. Drain any excess water.
- Preheat oven to 170°C. In a stockpot, heat butter over medium-high heat; saute mushrooms and onion for 5 minutes. Stir in rice, chicken, pimiento, parsley, pepper, broth, cream and remaining salt.
- Transfer to a baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese and almonds. Bake, uncovered until heated through, 50-60 minutes.
- 1 cup uncooked penne pasta
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Barbecue and mustard sauce optional
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside.
- Drain pasta then add to the skillet. Stir in the soup, water, beef and heat through.
- Remove from the heat and sprinkle with cheese. Cover and let stand for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Serve with barbecue sauce and mustard if desired.
Garlic Toast Pizzas
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 1 package (3-1/2 ounces) sliced regular or turkey pepperoni
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Combine garlic, butter, and oil in a microwave-safe dish or in a small saucepan. Heat for 1 minute or in a small pot over moderate-low heat for 3 minutes.
- Toast bread in the grill and remove when it is toasted golden brown in color.
- Brush bread liberally with garlic oil.
- Spread bread with pizza sauce; top with pepperoni and cheese. Bake until cheese is melted, 4-5 minutes longer.
Pesto Rice-Stuffed Chicken
- 3/4 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1/2 cup chopped seeded tomato
- 1/4 cup pesto
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 tbsps oil, divided
- Preheat oven to 190°C. Cook rice according to package directions.
- In a small bowl, combine tomato, pesto, salt and rice.
- Cut a pocket horizontally in the thickest part of each chicken breast. Fill each with 3 tablespoons rice mixture; secure with toothpicks.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. In batches, brown chicken breasts on each side, adding additional oil as needed. Transfer to a greased baking pan.
- Bake 18-22 minutes or until chicken is not pink. Remove toothpicks before serving.
Skillet Mac & Cheese
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 2 tbsps butter
- 2 tbsps all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 3/4 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- Optional: fresh arugula, halved cherry tomatoes and coarsely ground pepper