Spinach is rich in iron, exactly what you need to ward off disease and boost your immunity naturally. And for those who are not big on spinach, we promise you that these creamy spinach recipes will make you rethink spinach and re-add it to your diet.
By Mariam Elhamy
Creamy Spinach and Parmesan Croissant
Upgrade your breakfast or brunch game this weekend with the ultimate savoury croissant made in under 15 mins, oozing with creamy spinach and a golden runny egg. Yum!
- 2 tsps olive oil
- 1 small garlic clove, finely chopped
- 40ml single cream
- 80g baby spinach
- 1 croissant cut in half lengthways
- 1 egg
- 15g grated Parmesan
- ½ tsp crushed chillies
- black pepper
- Preheat the oven to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C. Heat 1 tsp of olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat, add the garlic and fry for 1 min. Add the single cream and spinach and cook for 3 mins to wilt, stirring occasionally. Add two-thirds of the cheese to the spinach and season. Continue to cook for 1-2 mins until thickened slightly.
- Heat the remaining oil in a nonstick frying pan over medium heat and fry the egg for 3-4 mins or until the white is set but the yolk still runny.
- Spoon the spinach onto the bottom half of the croissant, top with the fried egg, sprinkle with the final third of the cheese and season with crushed chillies and some black pepper. Finish with the croissant top and enjoy.
Creamy Spinach Dip
One of the best dips we’ve ever had, honest to god. You will be licking the bowl after it’s finished and the best part is that you can pair it with any bread or crunchy nachos.
- 600g baby spinach
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 100g cream cheese
- Kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper and a pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook spinach for 30 seconds. Drain and place in a bowl of ice water. Then drain and squeeze out as much excess water as possible.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion and cook until soft, 5 mins. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 min. spinach recipes
- Add milk, heavy cream, and cream cheese to skillet. Simmer until cream cheese is melted. Season with salt, pepper, and a pinch of cayenne.
- Add spinach and Parmesan and stir to combine.